I am moving through an “era” as of late. There are lots of layers to it. But one struggle is professional cognitive dissonance. I am struggling with dissonance between my values and beliefs as a person and educator and what I am asked to support, believe, and accept as a professional. This is not new, but it has become increasingly troublesome for me.
ANYWAY, Mike was helping me talk it through this morning. He pointed out, as I ready knew to be true, cognitive dissonance is present in every job. You can’t escape it.
He said, the bottom line in whatever job you have is your co-workers. He said a person has to ask him or herself: Do you work with “wholesome” people? Do you work with people you would trust to come over into your house when you’re gone to let out the dog? In short, it’s your co-workers that make the difference.
I hadn’t thought about it all from that angle. Any job will always include cognitive dissonance - the percentage, frequency and intensity will always be variable, but it will be there. It’s the people with which you weather the ridiculousness or disparities that matters.
That said, I am thankful for the “wholesome” people who patiently put up with me - my intensity, rants and moods. I am thankful that I work with people for whom I would have no qualms about letting into my house and taking of June.
If you have “wholesome” (Mike’s word) co-workers, be thankful. If you don’t, find your squad. You spend a third of your day with these people. Make sure they are assets to your life and not liabilities.

No comments:
Post a Comment