Thursday, July 27, 2023

Life's Purpose is a Dog's Life

As is the case most days, I was absentmindedly stroking Juno's fur as I did my devotions this morning. No matter where I sit, she always plunks herself on my right side. In fact, she is there right now.

I'm prone to flare-ups, but not the kind of flare-ups you think of when you hear that term. Mine are more life flare-ups - like, questioning the decisions I have made or are making in life.  Lately, I have been in the midst of another overly-angsty flare-up. Tipping over the 50 mark has increased the frequency of such flare-ups. Turning 50 does not mean "Game Over," but realistically, it does mean "Game Over" for certain things in life.  It means getting serious about which "somedays" need to still become "nows," and making them happen. All this has ushered in a lot of self-examination regarding my career choice, accomplishments, relationships, etc.   

As I was contemplating, I looked over at June.  She has lived 15 years, 5 months, and 23 days, and to my observation, she has been perfectly content for all of them. Her only job, and one that she has done very well, has been to be a pet to our family, and a companion to whomever wants one.  Fortunately, she chooses me (I suspect that feeding her moves me to the top of the list). 

Not once have I seen her fret about having missed the purpose of her life.  How do I know?  Well, she just lives it.  Everyday.  

Juno follows me around, everywhere I go (including the bathroom). She is by my side - during the good times of laughter and fun, as well as the yelling, puking, or bawling times; she has hiked with me through pouring rain and sprawled out during kayak rides; she has kept crazy hours (up at 4? Sure!), and through crazy conditions.  

And not once has she whined, quit, or backed down.  She just shows up and does what she was meant to do - be a companion.  (Although, these days as an old lady, if she doesn't want to, she doesn't. She is 100% comfortable just being June.)

It dawned on me that Juno, and most pet dogs, for that matter, are showing us humans the sweet spot of life - life as God intended.  We (ok, maybe it's just me) are too busy - worrying about the unknown and uncontrollable, investing energy in places of questionable return or importance, patching relationships more than building them, ultimately trying to be someone who will leave a mark in history.  

While we are doing all that, we are missing the very thing we want so badly - our life's purpose, which is: 

To be a companion,

To be by God's side,

To be 100% focused on Him.

To live our moments going where He goes to do what He does, as He asks us to do. 

That's the sweet spot of life. And that's when all the other importance of all the garbage that brings us no joy - money, fame, achievements, endless busywork - melts away.  We now have peace and are content to just be present and available for the one we trust and adore the most.  We exist solely to bring Him joy, and as a result, we bring others joy too.  

Even though Juno's days on Earth are fewer than those she has already spent here, she doesn't care or worry about it.  She just does, and will continue to do, what she does best: Be a faithful, loving, always-ready companion.  

I think that's what God asks of me too.








No comments:

Post a Comment