Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Mustard Seed

“Those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, Lord, have never forsaken
those who seek you.” Psalm 9:10

Years ago, I purchased two necklaces - one for a friend and one for me. The friend was undergoing cancer treatment, and I gave her the necklace to encourage her.

The necklace is very simple and not particularly beautiful (see pic).  It’s just a simple mustard-seed, which is a tangible representation of Matthew 17:20Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

The disease itself is horrific enough, but treatment and its ensuing symptoms are equally physically destructive.  The intangible struggles, however, are the most difficult. It’s a daily battle for a cancer patient to keep the faith and remain optimistic amid the constant physical debilitation.

Although something as paltry as a necklace does nothing to abate any of this, I just wanted my friend to have a tangible reminder of God’s power and faithfulness, and I wanted her to know that I was her faithful prayer partner in this battle.

My friend is still battling cancer, and I’m still wearing the necklace.  I still continue to uphold her in prayer, but now, the mustard-seed is a faith talisman for three instead of one.

My daughter is struggling, and as a result, I’m struggling too.

I know that nothing is impossible for God. I truly do have faith as small as a mustard seed, and so I continue to persist in prayer - for both of us - that “the Lord will hear when I call to him.” (Psalm 4:3b) because “everything is possible for him who believes” (Mark 9:23).

My daughter, who notices everything, asked me about the necklace, and I explained to her a while back why I wear it and that I will not take it off until my prayers are answered.

Stubborn or stupid? Faithful or foolish? Call it what you will, but “the Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayers of the righteous” (Proverbs 15:29). For that reason, I gut-check motivation frequently. It is my heart’s desire to be in the center of His Will.

For now, I wait. . .and wear the necklace. It is assured that IT will wear out long before my faith does.

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart,
but it is the Lord’s purpose that
prevails.” Proverbs 19:21


No comments:

Post a Comment